Thursday, July 10, 2014

Celebrating the Arrival of Summer and Time to Read!

 I wrote this post on June 30, but failed to hit the publish button, so now it's old news.

This is officially my first day of summer (June 30)!  I spent last week cleaning out the classroom (almost finished), grading papers, posting grades, and watching the moving of the portables.  I'll be sharing some challenges here to keep you reading and exploring books throughout the summer.  Feel free to participate (or not).  We'll celebrate with cookie bars and time to share our summer reading at the library in August (more details later about this event).  Even if you don't read much this summer, drop by for cookie bars and to get some ideas for fall reading!

I'm currently reading The Boys in the Boat for my July book club meeting.  It will be challenging for me to finish it by next Tuesday, but I love reading on my deck in the summertime.  We have company arriving for the July 4th holiday on Wednesday so I'll be spending lots of time reading between now and then.

Here's a summer time quote by Aster Austin Dobson:

"The easeful days, the dreamless nights; 
The homely round of plain delights;
The calm, unambitioned mind, 
The simple stuff of summer time."

I hope that you're finding time for plain delights and simple stuff during your summer vacation!  Leave a comment about your favorite plain delights and simple stuff (it doesn't have to be reading).
- Mrs. B.

If you can't figure out how to comment, remember that you can email me (ramona.behnke@mercerislandschools.org) and I'll add your comment to the blog. 


No comments:

Post a Comment