Thursday, July 4, 2013

Fourth of July Treats and Patriotic Books

 Holly Mueller  has a fun blog post today which pairs Fourth of July treat ideas with patriotic books.  Click on her name to go to her blog post.  Each treat is paired with a book that has a patriotic theme.

I would definitely add Capture the Flag by Kate Messner to Holly's book titles.  Read this mystery to see what happens when the original Star Spangled Banner flag is stolen from the Smithsonian.  I met Kate Messner at the All Write Conference in June, attended one of her sessions, and heard her speak at the dinner that evening.  She autographed The Brilliant Fall of Gianna Z, my favorite book by her.


Send me your patriotic photos, and take a picture of the book you're currently reading (it doesn't have to be patriotic).  I'll post them on this blog post.  The book I'm reading is Glory Be by Augusta Scattergood.  It's the NPR Backseat Bookclub Pick for July.  The book takes place in the summer of 1964.  Glory's birthday is July 4th, and she's always had her party at the community pool.  However, the pool has been closed and lots of changes are happening in their small town of Hanging Moss.  Read the book to discover what happens.


My patriotic treats - blueberries in a red bowl.
Happy Fourth of July!

No comments:

Post a Comment