Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Books, Brownies, and Beyond - 2nd Summer Meeting, August 6th

I arrive fifteen minutes before start time.  I lug my bins of books and cookie bars into our small meeting room.  I push the table back and begin set-up.  I meet Avery, a first timer, who loves to read.  I rejoice when fellow book club sponsor and King County librarian, Carrie Bowman, arrives with book stacks in hand.  I thrill when three members - Disha, Elsa, and Katie - arrive bubbling over with book energy.  I meet Mia, friend to all three, and another voracious reader.  I point out the notepads and pens, perfect for adding to one's ever growing Want to Read list.  I struggle to be heard over the book babble.  I mention that we'll get started in three more minutes.  I hesitate to break the spell, so I savor a room filled with book love and wait fifteen more minutes before we settle into our seats to begin our formal book sharing time.
Everyone takes a turn to share a book they've read this summer.  In the middle of this frenzy of book sharing, two intrepid young men, Varuzhan and Austin join our small band of book enthusiasts.  We pose, books in hand, for a quick picture.  Students begin pleading to check out books from today's display.  We send them to the circulation desk, hoping for "no holds" on the title(s) so they can check the book(s) out right now.   Our August meeting ends with hopes for one more meeting before school starts, perhaps at Island Books, our beloved independent community bookstore.

I head to the car, book bin in hand, smiling with satisfaction as small groups spill into the library scanning shelves for the next perfect summer read.
                                                                                                       Featured Titles
Lost in the Sun
by Lisa Graff
Echo
by Pam Munoz Ryan
I Lived on Butterfly Hill
by Marjorie Agosin
Coaltown Jesus
by Ron Koertge
Summer at Forsaken Lake by Michael D. Beil
The War that Saved my Life by Kimberly Bradley
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
by Ransom Riggs
Long Shot 
by Mike Lupica

No comments:

Post a Comment